It has been quite a while since we gave an update on the construction of our Little House on the Prairie. We drove out to Livingston and spent 10 days working on the house. We took the party animals along and they loved the new house. More about that in a different post.
The exterior is basically finished except for the lights. We spent a lot of time looking at lights and trying to decide what would work. One of the problems was finding a style that we liked that would stand up to the wind.
We also finished selecting the appliances for the kitchen. We purchased the refrigerator, dishwasher, stove-top, oven and microwave. We purchased the washer and dryer several months ago. These items were either floor samples, the refrigerator, or on sale. They will be delivered when I go back out in October.
We also selected the mattress set and bed frame. That will be delivered during our November trip.
We had to move some of the lighting in the kitchen. That was completed. The wallboard was completed. We went further than planned on this aspect but it is a lot better. They finished taping before we left.
The water pump and line to the house has been installed. They also installed the pressure tank.
WispWest was out and did the preliminary wiring for our Internet access. We plan to run our own servers from the house and they had never done that in Livingston. It will be interesting trying to get everything to work.
The security system and "smart wiring" has been installed. That will have to be integrated with the network after we get connectivity with WispWest.
The septic tank has been set but the line to the house is not in place. We got the necessary permits for the drain field.
We still need to get the insulation in the attic. There are also issues with the light fixtures and we are working with the electrician on the resolutions.
There were some questions on finishing portions of the roof/eave structure but they were resolved while we were out. We also resolved issues with the exterior doors.
They are ready to start painting. That should be done within the next week.
The cabinets are due in at the end of the month. They should be installed prior to my next trip. The floor tiles are in and will be installed after the cabinets are installed.
Plans are to take delivery of the appliances in late-October so they can complete the cabinet installation.
My next trip is scheduled for October 16, 2009 through October 23, 2009. Another trip is scheduled for November 11, 2009 through November 18, 2009. Deb will come along for the first part of the November trip. We hope to be able to move the stuff that we have been accumulating and storing in Emigrant.
There is one caveat to all of this. I have been having major problems with my eyesight in the right eye. I completed a number of tests this week and the results were not good. I have major corneal erosion and there are also problems with the back of the cornea. I also have hemorrhaging of the optic nerve. Surgery is scheduled in about 10 days. If successful the prognosis is a return to "normal" vision in 3 to 4 months. This could change all of our plans.
I will post pictures on the construction pages later.